When you’re strapped for cash, but going nutty from too much- well, life- it’s time to plan a Staycation!
This happens to me often as a free-lancer, (the going nutty part) since my work can often feel never-ending and often bleeds into my personal and family time. When I finally manage to carve out an ENTIRE weekend and put my email on auto-response, I am soooo grateful for a few glorious days off the bloggers- grid.
If you’re like me and you have finally planned a staycation with the intent to literally stay-at-home, but then find yourself going crazy with the presence of everydaylife in each room- (I mean, hellooooo laundry) there’s always the option to check into a local hotel. Sometimes just a small, quiete room where you can unwind, make a mess and chill for a night or two is the answer.
I chose the Aloft hotel which is only 10 minutes from my house, because of their pool, modern decor and great bar scene. I mostly wanted to try a night here, because of the indoor pool, which is surrounded by nearly 4 walls of glass to let the (sometimes minimal) sun shine in. You know what this means right? Sunshine + pool guaranteed nearly year round. HELLO. They had me at indoor pool.
The second thing I wanted to do during my Staycation was to walk around and enjoy the sites; Get my mind off work and make sure there were no computers in site.
I’ve listed a few ideas for FREE outdoor activities if you want to stay within the city. During my Staycation I personally checked both one and two off this list.
Free Activities for your Stay-cation:
- Take a scene walk across the new walking bridge, Tilikum Crossing for an inspiration view of the city.
- Get your fill of window shopping on 23rd ave, a gorgeous strip that includes many boutiques and local cafes.
- Stop and smell the roses at our internation Rose test Garden- Washington Park.
- Pack a lunch and go for a picnic at Cathedral Park where you can view St Johns Bridge up close.
- Wear something comfy and go for a hike at Hoyt Arboretum.
When it comes to local food, I am kind of a snob. We are so spoiled in Portland. I used to think that the Vegan options were narrow, but more and more amazing restaurants keep popping up to fill the void.
We tried to sneak into our favorite sushi spot- Bamboo Sushi on 23rd, but the wait was crazyyyy long, so instead we grabbed a table at my FAVORITE peruvian restaurant, Andinas. Jose and I enjoyed a light dinner with drinks and a sinfully decadent desert- creme brulette. (BTW You have to special order the “Sexy Woman” which is not on the menu but an oh-so-amazing sweet & spicy drink!)
Photo from PDX.EATER.COM
Here are a couple more spots I recommend for dinner:
- Andinas– Family style plates with a burst of flavor in each dish. My favorites are the Yuca Frita, Yuca Rellena & Pimiento Piquillo Rellenos!
- Departure– Great drinks, delicious sushi and bipbimbop with THE best rooftop View!
- Bamboo Sushi– I recommend the 23rd location and you MUST sit at the bar and have them make you some custom dishes!
- Clark Lewis– Italian dishes you will LOVE and a great vibe. Love the East side location and their wine selection.
- Natural Selection- This rivals any other Vegan restaurant I’ve tried here! So delicious I think this is a must-try for meat-eaters too!
I’m super stoked on my RTR Unlimited subscription. I’ve received all three of my items and despite one missing belt (for this pictured coat) everything arrived in pristine condition and so quickly- I barely blinked!
I’m in love with this oversized Elizabeth and James Bebe coat for Spring, which will ward off the rain and chill, yet allow me to wear less layers beneath. Isn’t the popcorn knit so fun? I’m excited to offer my readers $20 off their first time rental. Just use this 20off link for guess what? 20 bucks off babes!
SHOP MY LOOK: (And don’t forget to see how else I styled these gorgeous Pembroke Sandals HERE)
- Elizabeth and James Bebe Coat (Get 20% off your rental with THIS LINK)
- Bag Inc Crossbody (ON SALE)
- Cynthia Vincent Pembroke Sandals
- Forever21 Romper (sold out) Similar
- Celine Sunglasses (older) NEW Season